– 1290 – The Tricerchi were part of Siena’s oligarchy as members of the ‘Government of Nine’ which was composed of the nine most powerful families in Siena.
– 1330 – The Tricerchi became Provveditori of the Biccherne, magistrates connected with the Monastery of Galgano, who controlled the finances of the Republic of Siena.
– 1441 – The Tricerchi Castle was completed on the Via Francigena.
– 1569 – Under the Grand Duchy of Tuscany, the Triterchi are appointed by the Medici family as public functionaries in Siena. Their noble status is confirmed when they are awarded the administration of Montalcino.
– 1600 – Under Spanish dominion, the Tricerchi Castle became an important reference point for pilgrims travelling to Rome.
– 1700 – The Chapel of the Virgin of the Veil was built, where a fragment of the Virgin’s veil is kept next to the Papal Bull. In the same year the family received plenary indulgence.
– 1800 – The Castle and its property passed from Maddalena ( Nena ) to her eldest son, Julio Squarcia, ancestor of the current family.
The Castle was built in the thirteenth century on the Via Francigena at Montalcino by the Altesi and completed in 1441 by the Tricerchi.
Its covers 6000 m2 and is a typical example of a medieval castle with a fortified keep, decorated with motifs attributed to Baldassarre Peruzzi, a famous artist from the period.
Over the centuries, the castle has offered refuge and protection to pilgrims taking the Via Francigena to Rome. In the seventeenth century the chapel, which was originally situated within the walls was moved to the end of the avenue and devoted to the Virgin of the Veil. ,A fragment of the Virgin’s veil authenticated by a Papal Bull, is kept in the chapel. In 1982, the Tricerchi Castle was officially recognised as part of Italy’s historical and artistic heritage.